FREE Consultation (866) 848-7077

New Milford Home Explosion Kills One, Injures Two


Posted by Brendan Faulkner of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Aug 30, 2012 in Personal Injury

The New Milford News Times reports that an explosion at a home on Sunny Valley Road killed a friend of the home's owner, and injured the friend's son, as well as the owner.

Propane explosions kill or injure thousands of people each year.  Propane (liquid petroleum gas) has 25 times more energy than natural gas, which is why such incidents tend to be explosive, with extensive structural damage and multiple fatalities.

Propane is odorless in its natural state but has an odorant added to ensure that you can smell it in the event of a leak.  If you ever suspect that there is a propane leak in your house, leave the building immediately.  Use the shut-off valve on the tank to turn the gas off.  Do not re-enter the building until a professional has told you it is safe to do so.

Unfortunately, problems with fading of the odorant have been widely reported. If your house is heated by propane, a propane detector is essential to protect your family.

D'Amico & Pettinicchi has extensive experience representing individuals killed and injured as a result of the negligence of others, including a recent settlement on behalf of the estate of a 21 year old New Milford man who was killed as a result of a beer keg explosion.