FREE Consultation (866) 848-7077

Father of 9 children owes child support, ordered not to procreate

Posted by Thomas Pettinicchi of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Dec 04, 2012 in Child Support

Pursuing child support payments from a parent who has no desire to contribute financially to a child's wellbeing can be one of the most frustrating challenges for many parents. Without these payments, parents and children end up struggling in an economy that is already hard enough for many people in Connecticut. Ideally, every parent would make child support payments in full and on time, but this is certainly not the case for families all across the country.

One solution that many parents find effective is to file a legal complaint against another parent who has been delinquent in payments. In many cases, this method is a sufficient solution and the neglectful parent is ordered to make back payments. In other situations, however, courts have such little patience for a parent who has not paid child support that they enforce even stricter punishments against the so-called deadbeat parent.

Recently, for example, a judge in another state became so exasperated by a man's refusal to pay child support for any of his nine children, even though he could afford it, that she attached a somewhat surprising condition to his probation. She sentenced the dad to three years' probation, during which time he is not allowed to father any additional children.

According to that state's Supreme Court, it is possible to prohibit a person from procreating until he or she proves to be capable of taking care of the children he or she already has. While this solution has been a bit controversial, the intent is clear. A man who owes nearly $100,000 to six women for his nine children and has actively dodged this responsibility should not be allowed to have more children, according to the judge.

This interesting situation brings up a number of questions. For example, is limiting a person's procreation rights fair? Can this punishment even be enforced? It should be noted here that in similar cases when a person was ordered not to have any children, this condition was lifted when and if the parent started making child support payments and demonstrating an ability to care for his or her children.

In more traditional situations, pursuing and collecting child support does not have to be a sensational event. Whether payments need to be collected or adjusted, parents can typically find a suitable solution by working with an experienced attorney.

Source: The Journal Times, "Deadbeat dad sentenced to probation, ordered not to procreate," Kristen Zambo, Dec. 3, 2012