FREE Consultation (866) 848-7077

Criteria for modifying a child support order in Connecticut

Posted by Thomas Pettinicchi of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Jul 01, 2014 in Child Support

As a parent going through divorce, reaching a child support settlement is often simply part of the process. Being an active, engaged parent generally includes providing emotional and financial support.

Even though some parents want to be responsible, the burden of a child support settlement may simply be too much. On the other hand, the parent who receives the support on behalf of his or her child may be feeling a major financial squeeze.

For parents falling into either of the previously mentioned categories, it may be beneficial to look into the possibility of a modification.

Knowing that child support payments are generally court ordered parents should not go outside the bounds of a settlement. Failure to adhere to an existing agreement could lead to legal trouble and create animosity between parents.

Connecticut's Judicial Branch outlines basic criteria for seeking a child support modification. This applies to parents seeking to increase or decrease the current order. Furthermore, these criteria apply only to orders created in Connecticut court and if the other parent lives in the state.

Being in any of the following situations can warrant a modification:

  • Significant changes in income.
  • Significant changes in the cost of child care.
  • The existing child support order is 15 percent less or greater than what is required by state guidelines.

Of course, navigating the specifics of personal finance and state law can be tricky, which is why it may be helpful to turn to an experienced attorney. After all, this is a legal change that parents will want to get right, as opposed to being tied up in a lengthy dispute or risk being held in contempt of court.

Being a parent is not always simple. Parents may want to do their part, but that may require taking a careful look at the current financial situation and determining what remedies are currently available to resolve deficiencies.

Source: State of Connecticut Judicial Branch, "How to Change Your Child Support Order," accessed July 1, 2014