FREE Consultation (866) 848-7077

Options Exist After a Loved One Dies in a Crash

Posted on behalf of Mark F. Griffin of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Dec 20, 2014 in Car Accidents

Everyday people throughout the state of Connecticut get into their vehicles to run errands and go to home, work and school. Though much of the time these trips are uneventful, on some occasions drivers are involved in serious crashes. In the worst cases these crashes result in the death of one or more of the people involved in the incident. A sudden and untimely death of this nature can be difficult for those who know the deceased person to face—particularly his or her family members.

The frustrating thing about so many of these fatal crashes is that they are avoidable. On some occasions it is negligent behavior of another driver that causes an accident. This means that had the driver not engaged in a negligent behavior such as by speeding, driving recklessly or picking up their phone to talk or text, a loved one who died might still be alive. Coming to terms with this is often hard.

In some situations filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the person responsible for the death of a family member might help in that regard. Since a case that is successful will result in money going to the person who filed the lawsuit, taking this approach can be appealing. This money could be used to pay for the funeral and medical bills that may have accumulated in conjunction with the incident before the victim died. It might also help to set the family of the deceased person down a stable financial road.

A potential settlement is not the only benefit of filing a wrongful death lawsuit. It could also bring closure to those who lost someone they loved.

There is no question that these cases are hard on those who file them. Accordingly, when pursuing a case of this nature it is vital to work with a Connecticut lawyer who you trust and understands just how hard the process can be. To learn more about how a personal injury attorney from our law firm might assist you with this please see our website.