Stamford High School Student Dies After Being Hit by Car While Crossing Street
Posted on behalf of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Nov 07, 2016 in Car Accidents
On Saturday morning around 7:30 a.m., a Stamford High School student died after being hit by a car as she was crossing Strawberry Hill Avenue.
The accident occurred in front of the high school and the student was not in a crosswalk. She died from her injuries after being transported to Stamford Hospital.
The driver is a Stamford resident who cooperated with investigators after the crash. No charges have been filed at this time and investigators are asking any witnesses of the accident to call the police.
The school district provided support to students and staff members on Sunday from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. and will provide extra support during the week, according to Stamford Public Schools Public Affairs Officer Sharon Beadle.
Stamford Mayor David Martin said that his thoughts and prayers and the thoughts and prayers of the entire community are with the family of the student who died.
Tips for Drivers to Avoid Pedestrian Accidents
Saturday morning's accident emphasizes the need for drivers to take extra precautions to avoid deadly pedestrian accidents.
According to AAA, there are several strategies drivers can use to decrease the chances of a collision with a pedestrian, including:
- Always looking for pedestrians because they often do not know where they should be or where you expect them to be.
- Not speeding, particularly in areas with a lot of pedestrians, such as school zones and neighborhoods.
- Looking for pedestrians when pulling into and backing out of driveways.
- Slowing down when approaching crosswalks and being prepared to stop.
- Being extra cautious when driving in bad weather or poorly lit areas.
- Always yielding to pedestrians at crosswalks.
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, the car accident lawyers at D'Amico & Pettinicchi may be able to obtain compensation. We have many years of experience fighting for the rights of victims of car accidents and we will put your best interests first throughout the legal process.
Live Chat with a representative or call us at (866) 848-7077.