Tractor-Trailer Crash Leaves Two People Critically Injured
Posted on behalf of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Nov 21, 2016 in Truck Accidents
On Saturday night in Greenwich, CT, a tractor-trailer exiting I-95 hit a car and caused the driver and passenger to suffer serious injuries.
The accident occurred at about 5:30 p.m. at the intersection of the I-95 southbound exit ramp near Arch Street.
Emergency responders from the fire department had to help extricate the driver and passenger from the car, as the damage from the crash left them stuck in the car.
The victims were transported to a local trauma center to treat serious, life-threatening injuries. The driver of the tractor-trailer did not suffer any injuries in the crash.
The crash is still under investigation by local authorities.
Causes of Tractor-Trailer Accidents
There are a few reasons why tractor-trailer accidents involving smaller passenger vehicles are extremely dangerous and often fatal, some of which include:
- Weight: Tractor-trailers can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, more than 16 times the weight of an average passenger vehicle.
- Braking: Tractor-trailers need 335 feet or more to be able to come to a complete stop.
- Maneuverability: These vehicles take much longer to change direction or stop due to their size and weight.
Unfortunately, many tractor-trailer accidents are caused by negligence and can be prevented. Common examples of negligence that lead to tractor-trailer accidents include:
- Inadequate training: Some companies employ drivers who have not received proper required training.
- Drowsy driving: Truck drivers are often tired because they have tight deadlines and they do not have enough time to take breaks and get enough sleep. Overworked drivers are prone to making mistakes that can lead to dangerous accidents.
- Speeding: Another consequence of being overworked and having tight deadlines is speeding, a common factor in many traffic accidents.
- Unbalanced loads: Traveling with unbalanced cargo causes drivers to have poor control of their vehicles and increases the risk of a rollover accident.
If you were seriously injured or have lost a loved one in a truck accident, contact the truck accident lawyers at D'Amico & Pettinicchi today for a free legal consultation.
You may be entitled to compensation for damages, including injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and physical therapy.
Chat live with a representative or call us at (866) 848-7077.