Strategies to Avoid a Drunk Driving Crash on Super Bowl Sunday
Posted on behalf of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Jan 31, 2017 in Car Accidents
On Sunday, the New England Patriots will attempt to win their fifth Super Bowl title. While it would be a shame for the Patriots to lose the game, the real tragedy on Super Bowl Sunday would be people suffering severe injuries or losing their lives in traffic accidents caused by drunk drivers.
Unfortunately, considering the increased alcohol consumption at all of the parties on Super Bowl Sunday, there is a much higher risk of fatal drunk driving crashes after the big game.
There were 10,265 deaths from drunk driving crashes in 2015, nearly 30 percent of all fatal traffic accidents, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This amounted to one impaired driving death every 51 minutes.
The NHTSA has several practical tips to help you and others you are watching the game with avoid a tragic drunk driving accident on Sunday.
If You Are Drinking
If you plan to drink at a Super Bowl party, you need to plan ahead to stay safe:
- Before you head to the party, designate a sober driver to bring you home at the end of the night. This person should not drink at all during the party.
- If your designated driver consumes alcohol, call a sober friend or use the NHTSA's SaferRide app to call a taxi or a friend to come pick you up. SaferRide is available on Android and Apple devices on Google Play or the iTunes store.
- On the ride home, be sure that you, the driver and anyone else in the car wear seat belts.
- If you are unable to find transportation home, ask the host of the party if you can stay the night.
If You Will Be Driving
Being a designated driver is a huge responsibility. Follow these tips to fulfill your duty as a designated driver:
- Do not drink at the party. Other people are relying on you to be sober to get them home safely.
- If you see someone attempt to drive after drinking, take their keys away and help them get home safely. They may argue with you that night, but they will thank you later.
- Wear your seat belt at all times and make your passengers do the same.
If You Are Hosting a Party
You want your guests to have a good time, but you also have a responsibility to ensure the safety of everyone:
- Request that your guests designate sober drivers before coming to the party.
- If you will not be drinking, offer a ride to anyone who needs it.
- Remind guests to pace themselves when they are drinking. This includes drinking water and eating plenty of food.
- Serve non-alcoholic drinks in addition to alcoholic beverages.
If you lose a loved one in a drunk driving crash, contact the auto accident lawyers at D'Amico & Pettinicchi for a free legal consultation. We can help ensure you receive the compensation you deserve to help make up for the loss of your loved one.
We have recovered millions in compensation for many victims of traffic crashes and other catastrophic accidents.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call (866) 848-7077.