Three-Year-Old Killed in House Fire Caused by Recharging Hoverboard
Posted on behalf of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Mar 14, 2017 in Product Liability
On Friday night, a three-year-old was killed by complications from severe burns she suffered in a house fire caused by a hoverboard that burst into flames in a home in Harrisburg, Penn.
The hoverboard exploded while it was plugged into the wall for recharging, causing a fire on the first floor of the three-story house.
The three-year-old was airlifted to Lehigh Valley Hospital along with two other girls who were injured in the fire. The three-year-old was pronounced dead on Sunday morning, while the other two girls remain in critical condition.
The three-year-old's father was treated for smoke inhalation but has been released from the hospital.
This the first fatality from a hoverboard fire, according to Scott Wolfson, spokesman for the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC).
The CPSC has investigated 60 other cases of hoverboard fires in the past year and a half. As of February 2016, these devices had caused two houses to burn down, according to a report from The Washington Post.
These devices became popular during the 2015 holiday season, but soon after, there were many reports of the devices catching fire.
The lithium-ion batteries in hoverboards have a solution that is potentially flammable and can explode if the battery is defective or becomes damaged.
In mid-2016, the CPSC warned consumers to stop using hoverboards made by certain manufacturers. Hoverboard manufacturer Swagway recalled more than half a million of the devices. Airlines also banned these devices due to the risk of a fire.
Have you lost a loved one or suffered property damage because of a hoverboard fire?
Contact D'Amico & Pettinicchi's defective product lawyers today for a free, no obligation consultation. We may be able to obtain compensation from the manufacturer for creating a dangerous product and failing to adequately warn consumers about the risks. We will not charge for our services unless your claim has a favorable resolution through a settlement or jury verdict.