How to Handle Back Injuries from Car Accidents
Posted on behalf of D'Amico & Pettinicchi, LLC on Feb 01, 2018 in Car Accidents
Car accidents happen every day. Some of them result in severe injuries, and some result in no injuries at all. Some of the most common injuries are back injuries, which can be painful and debilitating.
If you have been injured in a car accident, make sure you understand your options. Contact the Waterbury car accident attorneys at D’Amico & Pettinicchi for a free consultation to discuss your legal options for recovering compensation for your back injury.
Types of Back Injuries from Car Accidents
The back is an intricate structure made of muscles, nerves and bones that all work together to help the body stand up straight and transmit important messages from the brain. If any part of this important area of the body is damaged, it can have serious consequences.
Some of most common back injuries caused by car accidents include:
- Spinal cord injuries: Car accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries, according to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center. The spinal cord transmits important information from the brain to the rest of the body, and if damaged or severed, it can be catastrophic, often leading to permanent loss of strength, sensation and function below the injury.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries are very common in car accidents, as the impact of a crash can easily stretch or tear the muscles and tendons in the neck and back. One of the most common soft tissue injuries from car accidents is whiplash, which involves pain in the head, base of the skull, neck, shoulders and back.
- Herniated discs: The discs in your back help protect your bones from rubbing together. When you are in an accident, the discs can move, bust or even break. This allows the bones in your back to press against each other and nerves, which can be very painful and may require surgery.
- Fractures: Compression fractures are common in the middle and lower back because, during an accident, the upper body can be thrown forward while the lower body is held in place by a seat belt. Fractures of the spine can lead to breathing problems, chronic pain and even paralysis.
Getting Compensation for Your Back Injury
Back injuries can have long-lasting and potentially life-altering affects that will require expensive medical care and could prevent you from being able to work, whether for a temporary period or forever. Because of this, compensation after an accident is very important.
Depending on the severity of your back injury, it may be possible to obtain compensation such as:
- Medical bills
- Hospital stays
- Ambulance rides
- Assistive medical equipment
- Medical tests like MRIs and CT scans
- Long-term care
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Lost wages
- Lost future income
However, recovering compensation for such a complex injury is not easy. Because you will only receive one verdict or settlement for your case, it is important that your recovery is sufficient to cover all of your current and future expenses associated with your injury.
An experienced personal injury lawyer in Waterbury can help you do just that. We have decades of experience helping accident victims get the compensation they need after an accident and can put that knowledge to use on your case.
Contact a Lawyer for Help
If you suffered a back injury in a car accident, do not wait to contact our experienced team for help with your case. We will handle the legal details of your case, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Contact D’Amico & Pettinicchi today to schedule a free, no obligation consultation to learn more. We do not charge for our services upfront and will only require payment if we recover compensation for you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call (866) 848-7077.